The election of committee heads and executive of the Calgary Section is coming up in April, and we’re looking for keen members to help by volunteering or accepting their nomination for any of the available positions for a year or two.
Various positions have different terms but we try to stagger term-ends for continuity in the ‘Board’ (which means Executive and Committee heads), ie., some people with experience always continue, to make things easier for new Board members at the beginning of their terms.
The Positions seeking New People this year are:
Chair : Nominations welcome! – Paul will continue in a role as Past Chair.
Vice Chair : Nominations welcome!
Climbing Chair : Anne Drew Potter – acting Climbing Chair and Nominee
Other nominations are welcome!
Currently vacant – Nathalie is willing to mentor new Chairperson.
Training and Leadership Chair
Nominations welcome! – Ken is willing to mentor new Chairperson.
Access and Environment Chair
Nominations welcome! – Kristine is willing to mentor new Chairperson.
Webmaster : Nominations welcome! – Josh and David will mentor new Webmaster.
Please consider and step in to support your Calgary Section of the ACC by volunteering for any of the above positions for the coming year or two: you will have help and being a Board member is an extra social connection in the Club, with monthly meetings, viz. social get-togethers, being a key benefit.
Duties of The Available Positions (2019 ACC Calgary Section Election:
Chair (Executive & Board Member)
- Overall responsibility for ALL SECTION ACTIVITIES, and sign Section financial documents.
- The Section representative to the public and the mountaineering community.
- Conduct all Section General and Board meetings, communicate with all Section committees and the ACC (‘Main Club’) and other Sections.
- Strive to enhance the section’s reputation within this community, Etc.
Vice-Chair (Executive & Board Member)
- Act on behalf of the Chairman when necessary and has signing authority for Section finances.
- Attend Section Executive and Board meetings.
- Available to take on special Section projects at request of the Board, Etc.
Climbing Chair (Board Member)
- Generally in charge of a Committee to conduct or oversee all summer and winter climbing trips.
- Attend monthly Board meetings.
- Communicate with the Training and Leadership Committee regarding courses relevant to climbing.
- Cooperate with other committees and Board members to maintain a continual schedule of climbs.
- Maintain the Responsibility Guidelines for trip leaders and participants.
- Oversee consistent completion, collection, and storage of trip liability waivers for all climbing trips.
- Organize and oversee an annual Rock Review and an annual Ice Review, Etc.
Training and Leadership Chair (Board Member)
- Form a T & L Committee to Organize a schedule of summer and winter courses
- Attend monthly Section meetings.
- Organize Section Leadership Training Courses.
- Participate in ACC (‘main club’) leadership training opportunities.
- Maintain the Section Trip Leader Handbook and policies pertaining to trip leaders, Etc.
Duties of Available Positions (cont’d):
Access and Environment Chair (Board Member)
- Advocate continued responsible access to areas of interest for mountain enthusiasts, including the promotion of wilderness preservation.
- Advocate and follow the Alpine Club of Canada’s Comprehensive Access and Environment Policy and Wilderness Code of Ethics.
- Attend Section Board meetings.
- Represent the Calgary Section with various environmental agencies and groups, and with Alberta
- Environment, regarding current environmental issues.
- Provide Calgary Section members with information regarding current environmental issues, and
- opportunities to follow through with areas of personal interest or concern, Etc.
Communications Chair (Board Member)
- Form a Communications Committee to Facilitate communications between the Board and the membership and among members, including maintaining the Section Facebook page.
- Attend Section Board meetings.
- Generate articles and other content of interest to members for The Breeze weekly email update in cooperation with the Webmaster.
- Review submitted articles before publication.
- Review and update or recommend website updates for accuracy, completeness, and relevance.
- Assist with the maintenance and update of Section Policies and Procedures Manual, Member
- Handbook, Bylaws, and other documents, Etc.
Webmaster (Board Member)
- Responsible for maintaining the Calgary Section website including:
- Updates of Section membership database and log-in information.
- Scheduling website backups.
- Responding to member queries with regard to problems with the website.
- Maintain email lists and implement changes to Board email forwards as necessary.
- Coordinate posting of photos from the annual Section photo contests.
- Renew annual domain name and webhosting licenses and contracts.
- Communicate with webhost / ISP provider.
- Attend Section Board meetings, Etc.