I’d like some feedback from more experienced members. I’m investing in an emergency device, and I’d like to hear some of your experiences using the Spot Gen 3 (or other Spot models) or any of the InReach products.
Things I’m looking for are mostly the reliability of these devices in sending emergency, and “check-in” messages accurately.
I have an InReach and love it for the following reasons;
– reliable connectivity to GPS even in overcast snowy skies
– long text field and you can sync with cell phone over bluetooth to easily compose messages if you so wish
– battery life is solid, if you use for messaging and turn it off at night or during the day
– I have used it to update family on trips and to let them know I am at my destination or have left and they find it quite assuring
– no experience with tracking though as I have not needed to venture into this realm of the device yet
– firmware easily updates and software is very simple
– cost upfront is steep and minimum monthly fee is $20 which I use. On the plus side you can suspend the subscription up to 4x per year I think.